Professional dental cleanings (dental prophylaxis) are usually performed by your Dental Hygienists. With regular dental cleanings and good home care, healthy gum tissues can be achieved for a lifetime. Everyone needs routine professional cleanings to target areas that are difficult to reach with everyday brushing and flossing. We use ultrasonic instrumentation that generates vibrational energy to clean and flush bacteria from underneath the tissue to promote health and healing. Regular dental cleanings with x-rays allow us to detect problem areas in their earliest stages and allow us to provide conservative and less costly solutions!
What Does A Dental Cleaning Involve?
- Evaluation – Careful evaluation of your particular needs to help us recommend the very best way you can protect your dental health.
- Removal of Plaque – Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins that inflame your gum tissue. That inflammation is the start of periodontal disease!
- Removal of Calculus (Tartar) – Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and has become firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Teeth Polishing – This removes stains and plaque that is not otherwise removed during brushing and scaling.
- Technique Review – As part of your dental hygiene appointment we will review your present techniques and offer suggestions or additions to improve your ability to protect your dental health at home..
Please ask us any questions you may have or advise us of any concerns so that we can offer the best advise and services to provide excellent dental health.